Competency Certification

Quick Links

Certification Types  |  Certification Process and Required Training

Find a NSW RSA/RCG Course & Training Info
Find a QLD RSA/RSG Course & Training Info
Find a VIC RSA/RSG Course & Training Info

Certification Types


RSA - Responsible Service of Alcohol

In all states and territories in Australia training in the responsible service of alcohol is mandatory for everyone involved in the sale, service and supply of alcohol to the public.


RSG/RCG - Responsible Service/Conduct of Gambling

Employees of registered clubs and hotels with gaming machines, whose duties include gaming machine activities, are required by law to complete training in providing responsible gambling services.


Privacy Training for ID Scanners

Mandatory for high-risk venues in the Kings Cross Precinct in NSW, licensees and staff, who operate patron ID scanners, must have RSA and must also complete the approved Privacy training course. It is also recommended for those venues who voluntarily implement ID scanners.


RMLV - Responsible Management of Licensed Venues

Extra levels of training are required in certain states, mainly aimed at licensees and approved managers (particularly for late-night venues).


Security Officers Working in Licensed Premises

Security officers must hold the relevant state security industry class of licence for the duties they perform. Security officers who perform crowd control or bouncer activities must have current RSA certification.
In addition, an extra level of training tailored for security officers is presently being developed in NSW.

Certification Process and Required Training

All Australian states and territories have established liquor laws and regulations to help ensure the responsible sale, supply and consumption of alcohol, and the responsible operation of licensed premises. Sanctions apply for breaches of the liquor laws. These may range from a reprimand, to a penalty or a fine, through to the suspension or cancellation of a liquor licence.

To work in a licensed venue (a place that serves alcohol), depending on the job you perform, you need certification of competency in one or more of the following categories:

Categories (Class)

1.  Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificate.

Successful completion of the relevant State (or Territory) approved RSA training course is mandatory for everyone involved in the sale and supply and service of liquor to the public.

Depending on the state regulations, this can include licensees, club secretaries, bartenders, serving staff and security staff working at licensed venues; and even encompasses volunteers, promotional staff and contract employees, as well as directors of registered clubs who have liquor service responsibilities.

Your RSA certificate permits you to work anywhere alcohol is served and sold, including hotels, bars, clubs, restaurants, nightclubs, events and bottle shops.

2.  Responsible Conduct of Gambling (RCG) or Responsible Service of Gaming/ Gambling (RSG) certificate.

With some state variations, legislation requires that people like secretaries of registered clubs with gaming machines, hoteliers (licensees) with gaming machines, and employees of registered clubs and hotels whose duties include gaming machine activities, have completed the approved course(s).                                       

3.   Privacy.

A third category, mandatory Privacy training, currently only applies to the Kings Cross Precinct in NSW, where licensees and staff of high-risk venues who operate patron ID scanners (to prevent the entry of any person who has been banned from Kings Cross licensed venues) must have RSA, and are also required to undergo Privacy training. 

If you do not have valid (not expired) evidence that you have completed the training required for your job, both you and your employer can receive significant fines.

4.   Responsible Management of Licensed Venues (RMLV)

In certain states an extra level of training is required, mainly aimed at new licensees and approved managers (and, particularly, in late night venues), with some variations e.g.: Responsible Management of Licensed Venues (RMLV) in Queensland. Course in Management of Licensed Premises 52735WA (MLPLCA401A, MLPLCA402A and MLPLCA403A) - a course on the legislative obligations and responsibilities of licensees and managers in Western Australia.
‘New entrant training’ in Victoria (conducted by various RTOs for new licensees), and a newly introduced Advanced Responsible Service of Alcohol training course designed for licensees, managers and staff of late night venues.

NOTE also, that New South Wales is presently developing a tiered training scheme framework to improve industry competencies and compliance, which will include tailored education and training for specific industry sectors, such as licensees, approved managers and security officers.

RSA certification is either a pre-requisite, or is included in the higher level course.


For the most part, following completion of each state’s training requirements, paper RSA and RCG/RSG certificates are issued by the relevant State/Territory Authority and, generally, the licensed venue is required to keep a copy of their employees’ certificates in a register, which must be available for inspection upon request by a police officer or relevant State Authority inspector.

NSW, however, has adopted the issue of a photo Competency Card bearing endorsement of all three of RSA, RCG and Privacy types (classes) of certification as appropriate. The last of the old style paper certificates, which have been phased out in NSW, expired on the 30th June 2016.

Required training

Each State and Territory has its own laws and regulations for the liquor industry and training compliance requirements for competency certification for workers and their roles in the industry.
However, the accredited training courses for RSA and RCG/RSG required to be successfully completed by most State/Territory regulatory authorities, are Statements of Attainment of the Nationally Recognised Training units of competency -
SITHFAB201 - Provide responsible service of alcohol (superseding the prior SITHFAB009A), and
SITHGAM201 - Provide responsible gambling services (superseding the prior SITHGAM006A), which are provided by approved Registered Training Organisations (RTOs).

Note, however, some states often have additional requirements, e.g. in New South Wales only RTOs who have been approved by the NSW Office of Liquor, Racing and Gaming (OLGR) are permitted to conduct the training required for OLGR certification.

Unique Student Identifier

Do you have a Unique Student Identifier (USI)? Certificates cannot be issued without a student USI number.

From 1st January 2015 everyone undertaking nationally recognised training in Australia is required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). Your USI links to an online account, managed by the National Centre for Vocational Educational Research (NCVER), that contains all your training records and results (transcripts) that you complete from 1 January 2015 onwards.

One of the benefits of the USI is that you can access your USI account online at no cost from your computer, tablet or smartphone anytime, e.g. generate authenticated or extract printed documents for prospective employers, or enrolling for further study.

At the time of your enrolment with an approved training organisation in the nationally recognised RSA and RSG/RCG courses noted above, you will be asked to provide a USI. You can create your own USI on the USI website,, and most training organisations will also help to create your USI for you.

State and Territory Licensing Regulatory Authorities

Each state has its own regulations and compliance requirements regarding competency training and certification.
Certification obtained from interstate may not be recognised (e.g. as in NSW), or further additional (bridging) training is required (e.g. as in VIC).
However, the nationally recognised ‘Statement of Attainment’ document you received from your RSA training provider may be recognised in other states and territories.

You will need to check with the liquor authorities in that state or territory, and their websites are listed below:

New South Wales


Liquor & Gaming NSW



Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing (OLGR)]


Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation (OLGR)


For training requirements >




Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR)

South Australia 


Consumer and Business Services (CBS)



The Liquor and Gaming Branch

Western Australia

Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor (RGL)

Australian Capital Territory


Access Canberra -

Office or Regulatory Services (ORS)

Northern Territory


Department of Business


Click on the State or Territory below for further specific information.

Contact Us